Sunday, February 7, 2016

Week 2 Storytelling:The Flood

Noah was born ten generations after Adam, and he had loved God so much and believed in him. After that God was sad because of the sins of the descendants of Adam and  saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, so he decided to erase from the face of the earth all non-repentant sinners.

One day God said to Noah, "I have decided to kill all the humans because the land has been filled with their evil. I will send a great flood to destroy everything living under the sky. But you should start to build a great ark to be a shelter for you and your family.” After that Noah and his family worked a hundred years in building the ark. But Noah did not limit his work in building the ark. He also preached to the people around him saying,'' Repent for your sins, and turn to the worship of God."

Only eight people believed in God and they were: Noah, his wife, and his three sons and their wives, but the other people did not believe in God. Some of them ignored everything that Noah told them and others mocked him. They thought he was subnormal because he was building an ark in a place where there was no water. And the people started to say to each other about Noah something like,” Look at this person who builds an ark here in the wilderness! He must be demented. Flood here in the desert! It's impossible!  God is just, and God will not kill people. God created them! Noah, you are demented.” And of course Noah ignored the cynicism and that insults,  and he continued to build the ark, and he asked them to repent, saying,” Why do you refuse to believe in the word of God? And why do you want to die?!”
 The day came when Noah and his family completed the construction of the ark and everything was ready and complete. But one thing was remained: that Noah and his family enter the ark at the specific time. Again, Noah was trying to convince people by saying," Enter the ark while there is time! The door is open.  if anyone will enter the door now, he will be saved. The flood will come soon."  Although the sky was clear and there were no clouds, Noah, his sons, his wife and his sons’ wives entered into the ark to avoid the waters of the flood. And beasts, birds and everything that moved on the ground, in two entered the ark, male and female, as God commanded Noah to bring with him to the ark.
 The day of God's wrath came. God was patient with these people for a long time, but now God closed the door of the ark. And when God closed the door, no one was able to open it. God had sent the flood to the ground as he promised. The sky started to be darkened, and the wind started blowing. God brought clouds,lightning flashed, thunder boomed. Then the earthquakes hit, and the descendants of Adam shuddered and feared a great fear. It was easy for them to keep talking about God and Noah when everything was quiet. But now their mouths stopped speaking. The rain poured, and the water poured from the springs of the earth, and overflowed rivers and oceans, and the flood happened. The floods came to towns and villages and  the people started screaming to Noah, saying, '' Noah, Noah, please open the door and help us. Save us now, and we believe in what you said. You’ve been  right. '' But this was late and God closed the door of the ark. And the sky continued to rain forty days and forty nights. The flood was increasing and waters even flooded the mountains.  And the ark was the only thing over the water.
 Finally all flesh, birds, beasts, and monsters died that moved upon the earth. God killed all creatures on the face of the earth because God does not ever break his promise.





image information : Noah's Ark 



Author’s note:

The Flood is an episode from the book of Genesis in the Bible, and the author started in this episode talking about the animals that entered the ark with Noah and then telling us about how the sky windows  were opened and the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights and the waters increased and bare up the ark, and it was lifted up above the earth.
 So I used this information to come up with my story by adding some conversation between Noah and the people on the earth.
 The purpose was to show how hard it was for Noah to make people believe what he was saying and also let them believe in God. I felt like if I added some conversations that would make us think more about Noah's struggle and how people paid a terrible price for not believing in what Noah told them about God's plan.
I chose this story because I had a goal before I started writing it, and my goal was that I wanted to add something to the story, like challenge myself and see if I can change a story that we are already know  to a new one. Editing a story it already exists is much harder than creating my own story and from my own imagination.

Bibliography:
Noah and the Ark: The Flood (Genesis): this story source: Story source: The King James Bible (1611), Genesis 5-6


9 comments:

  1. I really liked the story you told! I liked how you added the conversation between Noah and the people. It made me think about his struggle and how it is hard sometimes when people just don't believe you. You were very good at describing God and the storm that came. It helped me imagine the whole scene. One suggestion for your story I would make is to make your story multiple paragraphs. It will make it a little easier to read. Great job overall though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story was great! It was very interesting to read, and I like the additions you made. I also really enjoyed the conversation between Noah and the people like Steve, I thought that was a very good addition. The only critique I would have is that if you would split it up into paragraphs, it would make it a lot easier for the reader to follow. I really enjoyed your story though, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duoaa, great story! I like how you added the small nuggets of conversation between Noah and the local towns folk. This story is one that is commonly know amongst the majority of people. If someone was unfamiliar, you did a good job of sharing the important pieces of the story and also how difficult it was for Noah to share the word of God. Your links all work well, so that is great. I wonder how your story would flow if it was broken up a little more. I've learned in some of my classes that text that is broken up into about five lines per paragraph is easier for the reader to digest the text. It also tends to be a bit more appealing, as well. It would have been nice to explore the internal conflict that Noah felt, or what you thought he would have felt, supplying balance between the types of conversations that were featured. Or even the conversation that occurred between him and his family. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Duoaa. Good job on your story! Make sure you capitalize the F in "Flood" for the link in your portfolio. Really small detail! I liked all of the details that you included with the flood. I was able to form a picture in my mind. It was nice that you added dialogue as well and was able to show the struggles between all of the different characters. You took a popular Biblical story and re-created your own version with different details than offered in the original so it was interesting to keep reading. I would suggest creating more spaces between some of your paragraphs just for an aesthetic appeal. Also, make sure to write in active voice instead of passive to make things more direct (I think I only noticed one sentence like this). The ending was impactful by finishing the story with "God does not ever break His promise".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story was quite an interesting read and I liked the way you added some conversation into your version of the story. The first paragraph seemed a bit abrupt, maybe you could add something as a kind of buffer between the first and second sentences. Some parts of the formatting also seemed to have disappeared, so maybe next time you could look at the published version and edit as you have to. I sometimes have the problem too, since I type it up on either Word or Google Docs so I can save and not lose my work, and when I paste it onto Blogger, some of the formatting disappears or appears differently on the website. This is all minor detail, of course. Your story overall was good, easy to read, and you kept it interesting throughout it all. A line break between paragraphs would be nice, but again, I understand if the formatting is wonky because it's been pasted from a word processing program. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciated how you left all of the major aspects of this story in tact while adding in some commentary between Noah and the people. Sometimes when I read or hear this story I forget that there was many other people on the ground as well who denied Noah's offer. If only they would have been as willing for help as the animals were, then maybe they would have survived.

    I agree with a few of the people above that your story design could have used some more work on spacing between paragraphs and lines. As it is now, the large blocks of text are kind of hard to read. But beside this I like the look of your overall blog and also of the portfolio section itself. I noticed that of your two portfolio stories so far they are both retellings of biblical tales- is that your theme for your storybook or just a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Duoaa! I really enjoyed reading your story this week and seeing all of the biblical references throughout it. I was raised Catholic so I have seen the Noah’s Ark story told numerous times, but I was glad I got to read through yours. I really enjoyed the phot you had at the end because it reminds you that in the end some of the creatures were saved. You did a good job including some of the details in the story; perhaps look at even adding some more dialogue between Noah and his family? I wonder what they would have been thinking while all of this was going on? That could lead to some cool additions to your story and create new opportunities for more storytelling! It would also give a better sense of urgency for Noah and his family as well as how he was feeling when God gave him all of these instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did a great job telling the story of Noah and the Ark! Personally, I had never really read the story of Noah and the Ark in depth and I feel like most people know that Noah saved the animals two by two, but that's about it. I love that you added elements in there that gave some backstory to Noah and how he faithfully listened to and served God. It's definitely awesome how dedicated Noah was and how much trust he had in the Lord, especially since no one expects the desert to have a flood. He followed directions and it paid off in the end. I also like that you added some dialogue between Noah and the people who were mocking him and didn't believe that a flood was coming. He tried to save them, but they didn't believe him until it was too late and suffered the consequences. Great job telling the story of Noah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember hearing this story as a bedtime story when I was growing up and several times since. It’s a great story. I like that you didn’t change much about the story, you simply told it with a little more detail. Including the idea that the people thought that Noah was “demented” was an interesting take on the outsiders’ point of view. Clearly, some of the people in your story believed in God and know how just and loving he was, so they just couldn’t understand why he would flood the Earth to rid it of His own children. It’s always interesting to see both points of view, especially when they’re implemented into such a traditional and well-known story. Including the details of the clear skies and the location in the desert really helps with explaining how hard it was for Noah to convince everyone. Also I like that you ended the story with God not breaking his promise. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete