Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 2 Topics

Topic one: Mermaid Mythology

I think this topic is so interesting for me because I was always wanted to know about the mermaids and how they came. Are they true or just characters from a story, people used to tell over the years.
Research so far: I did some researches in Wikipedia and gods-and- monsters.com and they said that The earliest known mermaid legends come from Syria around 1000 B.C. where the Syrian goddess Atargatis dove into a lake to take the form of a fish, but the powers there would not allow her give up her great beauty, so only her bottom half became a fish and she kept her top half in human form. 

Mermaid Mythology


Topic two: the mythology of Pisces:
This is something I would like to read about because there are different versions of this legend. One of these versions came from Greek mythology and the other is from Syrian mythology.
Research so far: After looking at some of the websites I think I found two of them talking about the Pisces: gods-and- monsters.com and www.crystalinks.com. According to one version in Greek mythology, this constellation represents fish into which Aphrodite and Eros transformed in order to escape the monstrous Typhoon. The two fishes are often depicted tied together with a cord, to make sure they do not lose one another.
image information: this is the Pisces



Topic three: Myth of King Midas and the Gold
I want to read about the Greek mythology, so I can see what legend they were having. This story of King Midas is a myth about the tragedy of avarice and narrates what happens when true happiness is not recognized. Midas was a man who wished that everything he touched would turn into gold. However, he had not thought that this wish was not actually a blessing, but a curse. His greed invites us to think and realize the consequences that may lead us to become slaves of our own desires. The phrase the Midas touch comes from this myth and is used to say that somebody has a good fortune.
Research so far: the research that I did so far, that I saw a few websites talking about this Greek myth. One of them is greeka.com and the other is greekmyths-greekmythology.com. These two websites have information about this myth.

Topic four: The Myth of Halcyon – The Halcyon Days
   Another Greek myth would be interesting and I do not know about it before. I want to know about the Greek mythology because I think they have a lot of interesting things.

Research so far: I did research In Wikipedia and greekmyths-greekmythology.com and I still do not have too much detail about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment